Cuddle Baby Self-binding Receiving Blanket

Mitered Corner Baby Blanket by Amy Smart-001

Hello fellow Cuddle fabric lovers! I’m Amy Smart and I write a blog about my sewing and quilting adventures at Diary of a Quilter. Today I’m going to share with you a simple project to make a sweet receiving blanket using regular cotton fabric and some baby soft Cuddle fabric.

Fabric requirements:

• 1 1/4 yards cotton fabric (I prewash for this project)
  • 7/8 yard of Cuddle fabric – I used Cuddle Dimple in Aqua from the Kozy Cuddle Solids Collection (you will get two panels out of this piece)

Tools needed:

• Rotary Cutter and mat
  • sewing machine and basic sewing notions
  • an ‘erasable’ ink pen

cuddle-baby-blanket-measurementsrevised

1. Cut cotton fabric into a 40″ x 40″ square and Cuddle fabric into a 30″ x 30″ square. Fold your squares diagonally to make sure they are truly square pieces.(If your yardage is not quite wide enough, you can cut your squares smaller, just keep the cotton 10″ bigger than the Cuddle fabric.)

2. Place your Cuddle fabric, right sides together and centered in the middle of your cotton square.

IMG_9022

3. Find the center of one side of your Cuddle fabric and one side of your cotton fabric. Pin at the center and then pin edges of Cuddle fabric to the edges of the cotton. Don’t pin all the way to the corners of the Cuddle fabric – leave about 1 inch on either end un-pinned.

IMG_9027

You will have a 5″ space of left-over cotton fabric on either side.

pin-second-side

4. Repeat on opposite side and then on remaining two sides.

Pin-all-four-sides-mitered-baby-blanket-tutorialWhen you are done pinning you will have floppy cotton fabric corners.

cuddle-mitered-baby-blanket-tutorial

5. Using a ruler, mark a small dot 1/4″ in from both edges at all four corners.

sew-four-sides

6. Sew all four edges together using a 1/4″ seam allowance. On one side, leave an 8″ opening for turning blanket right-sides-out. I highly suggest using a walking-foot if you have one to avoid any stretching or puckering.

sew sides baby blanet tutorial

corners

IMG_9055

7. To make mitered corners pull the Cuddle fabric away from the cotton fabric. Start with one corner and pull the corner ‘flap’ taught, matching up raw edges to create a triangle. Fold the Cuddle fabric in half diagonally on itself, matching up intersecting seams for that corner. This should create a 45 degree angle next to the triangle ‘flap.’ Line up a ruler with the folded edge of the Cuddle fabric and mark a line.

IMG_9058

I’d suggest putting a pin in to hold everything together while you take it to your machine.

Sewing-mitered-corners

8.  Starting at the 1/4″ endpoint of original seam, sew directly on the line to the edge of the folded cotton fabric. Trim excess triangle ‘flap’ 1/4″ away from the new seam

press-corner-seams 9. Flatten and press new seam open. (While you’re at it, press the other seams away from the Cuddle fabric so that it will lie flat when you turn it right sides out.) Repeat process with remaining 3 corners.

miterd-minky-baby-blanket-topstitch

10. When all four corners are mitered, turn blanket right-sides out. Carefully shape the blanket including the self-binding cotton edge. Press outside edges. Tuck edges of Cuddle square toward the cotton fabric. Pin together open edge.

mitered-minky-baby-blanket-topstitching

11.  Top stitch all the way around the outside of the Cuddle fabric, at the same time closing the opening used for turning.  Top stitch around the outside blanket edge to give it a crisp finish. I also choose to draw a 12″ square in the middle of the Cuddle fabric with an eraseable pen and top stitch on that line as well to keep the center portion of the quilt from shifting when it’s washed.

mitered corner baby blanket

And there you have it. The first time you try this method it will probably take a little bit of time and effort to get things right, but I guarantee after that first time, you will be able to whip these suckers out for all your favorite new babies in no time.

Thanks for having me! Feel free to drop by Diary of a Quilter for more sewing and quilting tutorials!

Comments

1. What a fantastic tutorial, and perfect timing as my sister just called me tonight to ask me to make her a minky blanket as a gift for someone. Thank you :)

• ellen@shannonfabrics.com ellen@shannonfabrics.com says:

Hello Nicol!

Oh, yes- perfect timing! We are so happy to share this great tutorial by Amy; she is so talented.
      It seems there is always a new baby needing a blanket! :)

Thanks for stopping by My Cuddle Corner.

Happy Sewing and let us know how it turns out!

Have a great day!

-Ellen

2. I love this! Thanks for sharing!

Hi there Bia-

We thought we needed another baby blanket tutorial to share! They are always quick, easy and fun!

Best,

3. Stephanie Johnson says:

Do you know the name of the chevron fabric she used? I have some of that minky and would love to try to make this blanket!

4. The instructions say cut the minky to 30×30, but the image shows 36×36. I am assuming since the instructions go on to say that it should be 10 inches larger, that it is indeed 30×30, but wanted to check.
    Thanks for the nifty tutorial!

5. ellen@shannonfabrics.com ellen@shannonfabrics.com says:

Hi Karen,

I will double check with Amy and let you know. I believe that it should be 30 x 30. Our Cuddle is approx. 58/60 inches wide, so you can get two 30 x 30 pieces from 7/8 of a yard (approx. 31.5 inches). (I think the image that shows 36 x 36 was a typo.)
    I’ll let you know after I hear from Amy.

Thanks,
    Ellen

6. Isn’t this the exact same as the tutorial from Missouri Quilt Star company? She has tutorial on this one in YouTube only she does it in all flannel? Anyway just wondering!

• Yes – there are many versions of this technique taught on lots of sewing and quilting sites. It’s been around since long before the internet. I thought it would be a good to add to the list of ideas here at Cuddle Corner using Cuddle fabrics. Thanks Gillian!

Hi Gillian,

As Amy noted, there are many many tutorials for this type of project. We thought it would be fun to share this one!

Happy Sewing!

Cuddle Hugs,

7. Connie Combs says:

Love this idea. I have a lot of chenille too that I may try this with. Thanks for sharing this sweet tutorial.

Hi Connie-

You can try this technique with lots of plush fabrics. Have fun!

Happy Sewing!

Cuddle Hugs,
      Ellen

8. Thanks so much for the tutorial. Great! But was worth it to me was the website that you listed for the Cuddle fabrics! It is amazing. So glad you listed it! My afternoon project is the baby blanket!

Hello Anna,

So glad you liked it and found it helpful. You are more than welcome!
      Have a wonderful time making your baby blanket.

Cuddle Hugs,
      Ellen

9. I just made this blanket and, holy cow, I am in love with it!! I will definitely make it again and again as a baby gift! It is cuddly soft and pretty easy to put together. I actually want an adult sized one! lol Oh, and, I might even make some bibs with the leftover cuddly fabric and scraps of the backing fabric. Can’t throw away those cute little triangles that get cut off the corners ;-)

Hello Linda,

Oh that is wonderful to hear! So happy it went together so easily for you. And, why not make a Cuddle throw just for yourself?
      It sounds like you are now hooked on Cuddle. :) You’ve got the Cuddle bug. lol.
      Have fun using up your scraps…

Very Best and Cuddle Hugs,
      Ellen

• Linda – That is so great! I’m really glad you enjoyed making the blanket. It has definitely become one of my go-to baby gifts. Thanks for your sweet comment.

10. Becky blight says:

Thank you thank you thank you!! I am making a blanket for a baby shower, and the chevron print fabric I purchased was printed crooked, forcing me to trim it significantly I order to get a strip straight section. I had come up with the concept as a solution, but wasn’t sure how to efficiently sew it, and still prevent shifting etc. this was EXACTLY what I needed to get this project done with two little ones of my own running around!

Hi Becky-

You are most welcome! We are so glad to help.

Please send us a photo of your blanket when you are done. We’ve love to share it!

Very Best,
      Ellen

11. I’ve seen this type of blanket done using two different flannels, but I love the idea of minky and cotton as well! I attempted this blanket once (with the flannel) and it didn’t turn out so great, but your tutorial inspires me to give it another shot.

Hi Krissy,

It is fun and easy to combine cottons and Cuddle. All you need are a few tips! You can also view our tips & tricks on our website for more …

Hugs,

12. Diana Reed says:

Would flannel work for backing rather than cotton?

Hi Diana-

Sure- I wouldn’t see why not. Make sure to pre-wash the flannel as it can shrink a lot; Cuddle won’t shrink.

Good luck with your project and have fun.

Happy Holidays,
      Ellen

13. Awe.. this blanket is just adorable. I have always wanted to learn to sew like my grandma. You make it look so easy.

Hi Carol-

Thanks so much. We agree, Angel makes everything she sews look easy! ;)

Cuddle Hugs,

14. Miffyrose says:

hello
    Thanks for the tutorial and the great tip about sewing half way from the middle .
    i am really pleased with the result,for a first attempt.Minky hard to get here and still waiting on Shannon fabrics getting back to me.

15. Argh. At step 6.5, don’t “raise the needle,” raise the presser foot. Keep the needle down!

Hi Karen,

You are right! We will make that change and thanks for noticing!

Hugs,

Hi again Karen,

I confirmed with Amy Smart about this step and we have updated the post as follows:

“As you are sewing each side, pull the next side out of the way and sew seam until you get to the marked 1/4″ dot. When you get to the quarter inch dot lift the needle and turn the blanket. Pull the side of the cotton fabric you just sewed away and start sewing the new side of cotton fabric to the Cuddle fabric beginning at the 1/4″ dot.”

Happy Sewing!

Thanks again,
      Ellen

16. Hi there! I’m just curious if the cotton fabric has to be one solid piece or can it be pieced together. If it is pieced together would that effect the way it lays and looks? Just curious. Thanks for the great tutorial.

Hi Stephanie-

Here is an answer from Amy:

“I think you could piece the cotton portion of the blanket. To be honest, I don’t know how it would affect how it would look/lay. I would avoid seams in the parts where the corners are mitered because I think it would create more bulk there.”

Hope this helps!

Hugs,

17. It’s just how you mix and match or how you will go with the cloth :D

18. Hi Amy

I was just wondering do the measurements have to be 30×30 and 40×40? What if I was to reduce it to 25×25 and 30×30 would this just make my binding not as wide or would it not work all together?

Thanks Katie

Hi Katie,

Good question.

I’m going to check with Amy, the designer, and see what she thinks.

I’ll email you direct.

Thanks,
      Ellen

19. I am going to attempt this self binding blanket but want a little bigger size, I have two yards of minky that I want to use as the back and cotton as the insert. Is my measurement always ten inches bigger on the outside fabric then? Not sure how to measure this to use all my fabric, can you help me? Thanks
    , Barb

Hi Barb,

So sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I’m going to email you direct with some options.

Thanks!
      Ellen

• Did you send me some options? If so I did not get them can you resend them? Thanks

Hi Barb,

I think we emailed a bit about this…
            (We are waiting for Amy to test some different options on fabrics – to make sure the measurements work.)

Thanks,
            Ellen

20. I have the same question as Katie. I want to make the binding smaller. Is it possible to do the smaller measurements?

Hi Kristen,

We are waiting for Amy to play around with the pattern design and test it. She is the best person to answer these types of questions. Thanks very much for your patience.

Very Best,

21. Hello Ellen

I have one more question, which I forgot to ask. Does the blanket have to be square? Eg. Could it be 70cmx70cm x 90cmx90cm.

Many thanks Katie

22. Sorry I’ve just wrote that completely wrong haha!! I meant rather than each piece of fabric being square could it be rectangular so for example each piece being 70cmx90cm

Sorry for the confusion :)

Thanks x

23. Hi Barb, Kristen, and Katie,

I’m traveling extensively this summer with my family – which is quite wonderful, but also means I am without sewing machine, fabric or even a ruler for a fair bit of time. I’m so sorry I don’t have helpful answers for you without experimenting a little myself – I’ve only ever made the one size of this blanket. When I am home again later this summer I will do some playing. In the mean time if any of you try one of these changes, please share! Thanks for your patience.

24. Thanks so much for this tutorial. After completely botching a blanket using instructions from a Merchant and Mills sewing book, I went online to figure out where I’d gone wrong. There are many tutorials available for this technique, but yours is the first I’ve found with photos that actually make sense. Now, off to make a cup of tea and get to work with my seam ripper. Sigh.
    Lesliex

Hi Leslie-

That is so sweet of you! I hope we have helped and best of luck with your blanket!

Enjoy your spot of tea :)

Hugs,

25. Kappy Graney says:

Was there ever an answer to the question of how to adjust the dimensions of both pieces if you want a smaller size? Is it a specific proportion or is the larger piece always 10″ larger no matter what the size of the smaller square? I want to make some gifts–baby “loveys” –and I can’t seem to get the proportions correct. If my smaller square is 16″ x 16″, what size would my larger square be? Thanks for your answer!

Hi Kappy,

Thank you for being patient. I am going to check with Amy again and see how we can help answer you…

I don’t want to give you the wrong advice.

Thanks again.