Hello my crafty and DIY friends! My name is Morena and I’m addicted to Shannon Fabrics. Even though I don’t sew much, I love to use Shannon Fabrics products in my crafting on my site, Morena’s Corner, and in my projects for Fairfield World. I’m excited to show you how I gave my daughter’s room a major makeover by using various faux fur and Cuddle® fabrics. With back to school season just around the corner, this is the perfect time to start making items for your high school and college bound kids. Don’t worry if you don’t sew much…I’m going to show you how beginner friendly Shannon Fabrics products are.
I’ve made a super fun body pillow and throw and I’ll show you how to make them!
Supplies Used to Make the Body Pillow and Throw Blanket
- Multi Luxury Shag Fur in Cotton Candy
- Luxury Shag Fur in Hot Pink
- Solid Cuddle® 3 Fabric in Hot Pink
- Fairfield World’s Crafter’s Choice 16”x 38” Pillow
I also used a few notions from Dritz® – their Omnigrid® cutting mat and pins.
To make the body pillow:
- Cut the faux fur fabric into a piece that is 18”x 58”. My trick for cutting faux fur fabric without making a mess is to use a craft knife to cut the back of the fabric. Set the fabric on top of a cutting mat, use a plastic or metal ruler to mark where you want to cut, and use a craft knife to slice the fabric backing. You only want to cut through the backing, not all the way through to the fur. No cut fur mess to clean up at all!
- Fold the fabric in half lengthwise, and pin the edges together.
- Sew two of the sides together. If you’re a pro, use your sewing machine. If you’re a non-sewist like me, grab your needle and thread and work on this project while you’re watching Netflix! The point is, anyone can craft! Really!
- Flip the pillow cover inside out to reveal the gorgeous luxury shag fur. Slide the pillow form inside the case.
- Pin the open edge of the pillow cover together, and sew it closed. The fur fabric is perfect for new crafters because it hides a lot of the stitching mistakes you might make.
To make the reversible throw blanket:
- Place the shag fur fabric and the Cuddle® fabric so that the right sides are facing each other. Pin the edges together. This blanket is approximately two yards long.
- Just as we did with the body pillow, sew three of the sides of the blanket.
- Flip the blanket inside out. Pin the open edge together and sew shut. I used a ladder stitch, but the fur really hides most of the stitches already.
I just love the way the Cotton Candy Shag fur brings the room together. The colors make me think of a candy store. The throw blanket is perfect for lounging on the floor, on the couch, or anywhere. Use the Cuddle® side to keep warm on cold nights, and the furry side as a makeshift rug when sitting on the ground. Take a break from all night study sessions by crashing with this furry body pillow and blanket, after you wrestle it away from your friends!
Just so you know, you can find Shannon Fabrics at local quilt shops and fabric stores and you can check out their Store Locator too.