I’m Liberty from Libby Dibby Quilts. I recently was given the opportunity to work with Embrace® Double Gauze by Shannon Fabrics. I’d never worked with double gauze before and decided that their line – especially the colors that Shannon had available – were just so yummy, that I had to try them. As soon as I was looking at their color line, this design idea popped into my head. I hadn’t ever seen a quilt made from double gauze that had been pieced of tiny little pieces, but that didn’t stop me from trying to execute my idea. I’m so glad that I went for it!
Hi there! We are so pleased to share this “Land of Sweets Doll Quilt” pattern by Michelle Freedman. Michelle made this quilt for a challenge we did with the Portland Modern Quilt Guild and Northwest Quilters to support the Oregon Ballet Theater’s performances of The Nutcracker.
For the challenge, we provided Cuddle 3 from Kozy Cuddle™ solids. The Cuddle 3 colors, Red, Teal, Ivory, Paris Pink and Dark Lime, were selected from a palette we created using the OBT ‘Welcome to the Land of Sweets’ artwork.
Land of Sweets Doll Quilt designed by Michelle Freedman
finished size: 16 ½” x 20”
Fabric and Yardage:
Fabric A Pink Cuddle ½ yard
Fabric B Teal Cuddle ¼ yard
Fabric C White ground cotton print ¼ yard
Fabric D Turquoise cotton print 1/8 yard
Binding Fabric B
Backing Fabric A
Fabric A Cut 5 squares 4 ½” x 4 ½”
Fabric B Cut 4 squares 6 ½” x 6 ½”
Fabric C Cut 20 squares 2” x 2”
- Cut 16 squares 2 ½” x 2 ½”
- Cut 4 strips 2 ½” x 4 ½”
Fabric D Cut 2 strips 21/2” x 16 ½”
Binding Cut 80” (or two WOF strips) 2 1/2” wide
Backing Cut one piece 21” x 24”
Make your Doll Quilt!
Fabric A Unit: make 5
1. Place one 2 ” Fabric C square on the top left corner of one 4 ½” Fabric A square, right sides together. Stitch across the diagonal of the smaller square from the upper right corner to the lower left corner. (Fig 1.) Flip open the triangle and press seam allowances away from the center. (Fig. 2). Trim away the excess fabric 1/4” away from your stitching.
Repeat step one on the remaining three sides of your Fabric A square. (Fig. 3-4).
2. Make a total of 4 fabric A units.
3. Sew one Fabric A unit to one 2 1/2” x 4 1/2” Fabric C strip. Press seam allowances away from the Fabric A unit. Repeat on three of the remaining four Fabric A units. *The center Fabric A unit will not have the strip attached. (See Fig. 7)
Fabric B Unit: make 4
4. Place one 2 1/2” Fabric C square on the top left corner of one 6 ½” Fabric B square, right sides together. Stitch across the diagonal of the smaller square from the upper right corner to the lower left corner. Flip open the triangle and press seam allowances away from the center. Trim away the excess fabric 1/4” away from your stitching.
5. Repeat step 1 on the remaining three sides of your Fabric B square (Fig. 6).
6. Repeat step 4-5 on the remaining three fabric B units.
Assemble the Top: *Follow Figure 7 to assemble the top of your doll quilt.
7. Top Row: Stitch together two Fabric B units to one Fabric A unit.
8. Center Row: Stitch together three Fabric A units.
9. Bottom Row: Stitch together two Fabric B units to one Fabric A unit.
10. Stitch one 2 1/2” x 16 1/2” Fabric D strip to the top edge of your assembled units. Press seam allowances toward the strip. Repeat on the bottom edge (Fig. 8).
Finish your Quilt
11. Layer the quilt top, batting and backing to make your quilt sandwich. Baste the layers together.
12. Quilt as desired.
13. Square up the quilt top and trip the excess batting and backing.
14. Prepare a double fold, straight grain binding. Bind your quilt and add a label.
We’d like to thank Michelle for donating her precious time and talent to this project.
Have you ever made a doll quilt? We’d love to see yours!
Hey there, I’m Michelle Freedman, the current president of the Portland Modern Quilt Guild (PMQG) in Portland, Oregon. I’m here to tell you about an exciting project our guild has just announced. PMQG has teamed up with Shannon Fabrics to launch a new challenge to help support the arts in Oregon!
- Baby (12)
- Baby Blankets (42)
- Challenges (19)
- Community & Giving Back (13)
- Contests & Giveaways (56)
- Crafts (13)
- Cuddle Craft Projects (78)
- Cuddle Fabric (54)
- Cuddle Kits (36)
- Cuddle Suede (4)
- Cuddle Tips (33)
- Designers (10)
- DIY (9)
- Embrace double gauze (26)
- Fabric (13)
- Fashion (8)
- Faux Fur (14)
- garments (9)
- Giveaways (15)
- handmade (3)
- Home Decor (15)
- Home Decor Patterns (12)
- International Quilt Market 2014 (1)
- International Quilt Market 2016 (1)
- International Quilt Market Fall 2013 (5)
- International Quilt Market Houston 2015 (1)
- International Quilt Market Spring 2017 (2)
- Learn to Sew (7)
- Machine Embroidery (8)
- Machine Quilting (7)
- Modern Quilt Guild (4)
- Modern Quilting (6)
- Patterns (34)
- Precuts (15)
- Press (1)
- Quilt (48)
- Quilt Along (1)
- Quilt Patterns (51)
- Quilting (13)
- Sewing (103)
- Sewing Patterns (35)
- Sewing Projects (70)
- Shops (5)
- Shows (5)
- Tutorials (141)
- Uncategorized (1)